10/3/08

Alabama Media Professionals...
Breaking into National Markets


I had a wonderful experience yesterday with the Alabama Media Professionals organization. Aside from seeing some "old" friends who I hadn't seen in a while, I also enjoyed networking with other writers and learning some new tricks and tips to this whole writing and marketing endeavor.

But, I was primarily there to serve as one of the speakers for their Spring Workshop. It turned out well, and I hope that I provided all of the attendees with some useful information.

My speech was on "Breaking into National Markets" and I provided

Seven Tips for Breaking In...

1. Find your areas of interest and expertise

2. Develop marketable ideas.

3. Learn to locate markets.

4. Market yourself to editors.

5. Write a good query letter.

6. Learn "secrets" of submission.

A few of these "secrets" that I talked about included: meeting editors at writing conferences, coming up with ideas that fit into special theme issues, coming up with a "timely" topic, coming up with a unique slant on an idea that is done over-and-over, reslanting the same idea more than once, and submitting more ideas after an initial success.

7. Just keep at it.

I'd love to talk with you more about any of these topics. Feel free to email me!

And also...
check out the Alabama Media Professionals. If you live in Alabama, it would be worthwhile to join. And if you live elsewhere, try and find a group that you can get involved with; it's always great to have other writers around you.

1 comment:

Heather Landry said...

Oh wow Cheryl! I've never clicked on this blog before. Great tips!!! I would love to write for a magazine one day!